Diversity, Equity and Bias in Tutoring (LTAT 310 BLOG #5)

 



As I read the materials for this week, I couldn't help but reflect on my own experiences and biases. I must admit that I initially felt defensive, recognizing that I have unconscious biases that I need to work on. However, I also thought about how people from different groups, including myself, have been poorly treated due to prejudice or stereotypes.


One part of the readings that resonated with me was the discussion about how cultural differences can affect communication styles. It made me realize that I have sometimes misinterpreted a tutee's behavior due to my own cultural background and assumptions. For example, I might have perceived a lack of eye contact as disinterest or disrespect, when it could actually be a sign of respect in their culture.


To address this issue in my tutoring sessions, I plan to learn more about different communication styles and be more open to the idea that tutees may express themselves differently due to their cultural background. I will also ask tutees about their preferences and comfort level when it comes to communication, so that we can find a style that works best for both of us.


I see my weakness in not being fully aware of all the cultural nuances and potential biases I may have. To counteract this, I will actively educate myself about different cultures and take part in diversity trainings. I believe that my strength lies in my willingness to learn from my mistakes and adapt my tutoring approach based on feedback from my tutees.


One strategy I can share with my peers is to approach every tutoring session with an open mind, treating each tutee as an individual with unique experiences, rather than simply as a member of a certain group. This mindset can help in fostering an inclusive and respectful learning environment.


I am nervous about unintentionally offending tutees due to my lack of understanding of their cultural backgrounds or biases that I may not be aware of. To address this, I will actively seek feedback from my tutees and colleagues, and continuously work on improving my cultural competency.


Lastly, I want to emphasize the importance of creating a safe and supportive space for all members of our tutoring community. It is crucial to be gentle and kind to one another, even when we disagree. If we make mistakes, let's be open to apologizing and learning from them. Together, we can create an inclusive and respectful environment that fosters growth and learning for everyone.


Comments

  1. Hello Ronald,
    Excellent post! I should also point out that in my culture, making eye contact with a stranger is considered impolite, especially when speaking. In the last several years that I have lived in the United States, I have discovered that making eye contact is a show of respect and that I am paying attention to what the person is saying. It is amazing how different people may see certain behaviors as positive or negative due to their culture backgrounds. Actively pursuing cultural awareness education, in my opinion, will be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thank you for your comment. as I'm sure you probably guessed, I completely agree with you. I do remember that it was impolite to make direct eye contact in certain Middle Eastern cultures, with some variation depending on region, gender norms, et cetera. I had a reasonably international childhood. No, living in an apartment complex with people from all over the world. it is really interesting how. Certain cultural perspectives on things like eye contact. Are completely at odds with one another, which is one of the reasons why I think it's. So important that we all try to maintain an open minded stance toward things, as much as possible. I really enjoy reading your content as well, Your curiosity and candor. Shine through all the time.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I like that you were able to reflect on your experiences and I believe that's the best thing we can do as tutors and as individuals. I'm also worried about unintentionally offending someone, but I think as long as we are open to tutees expressing their feelings/ concerns and if we constantly learn about other cultures we will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ron,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I think it's good to admit defensiveness; it helps challenge that tendency. Simply recognizing and accepting it is important too, to have some control when it comes to emotional responses. I relate to the eye contact thing. I tend to present very directly and can read into that from my own baseline. At the same time, if I really think about it, I can be slightly avoidant like so in ways that have little to do with the other party. It's good to probe these things. I also relate to the strengths and weaknesses you reported. I think it's great you made a clear and appropriate plan to address things :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment