Tutor Self-Assessment Blog Post (LTAT 310 BLOG #6)

 1) My tutoring session took place on April 12, 2023, from 2:00 PM to 2:30 PM. The course being tutored was Japanese language, specifically focusing on basic particle usage covered in the first 5 Chapters of Genki I. . I worked with one tutee during the session. We covered topics such as using particles like は, が, に, で, and を, and practiced constructing sentences with these.  Author’s note: This was a private tutoring session via Skype.  As such, it is important to keep in mind that I was only able to respond to non verbal cues in so far as they were visible on camera.  Comments on learning environment come with a similar caveat.



2) To prepare for the tutoring session, I first reviewed the relevant sections in the Genki textbook to refresh my understanding of basic particle usage in Japanese. I then created custom worksheets and mock dialogues with color-coded grammar elements to help the tutee visualize the relationship between sentence elements and to see familiar grammar and vocab in different contexts. In organizing the session, I set up a comfortable and quiet environment for the tutee to focus on learning.


I conducted the session by starting with a brief review of the particles, followed by hands-on practice using the worksheets and dialogues. Throughout the session, I encouraged the tutee to ask questions and actively participated in the learning process. I provided feedback and guidance as necessary, ensuring the tutee understood each concept before moving on.


To conclude the session, we discussed the progress made and identified any remaining areas of confusion that needed further clarification. Finally, we set goals for our next meeting, so the tutee had a clear idea of what to expect and how to prepare for future sessions.



3) TThe tutee's primary expectation and goal for the session were to gain a better understanding of basic particle usage in Japanese, which aligned with my goal as a tutor. The tutee hoped that by the end of the session, they would feel more confident in constructing and comprehending sentences with various particles.


As we progressed through the session, it became evident that the tutee struggled with differentiating between some of the particles. To address this difficulty, I provided additional examples and explanations to clarify the nuances between similar particles. We also spent more time practicing with the color-coded worksheets and mock dialogues to reinforce their understanding.


By the end of the session, the tutee's expectations and goals were met as they demonstrated a better grasp of particle usage and felt more comfortable constructing sentences. The alignment of our goals allowed for a productive and focused session, and the tailored approach helped overcome any challenges the tutee faced during the learning process.



4) To assess the tutee's comprehension of the concepts and material, I employed several techniques throughout the session. First, I used active questioning to gauge their understanding of particle usage, asking them to explain their reasoning behind choosing specific particles in the given examples. This allowed me to identify areas of confusion or misunderstanding and address them accordingly.


Second, I observed their performance while working on the color-coded worksheets and mock dialogues. By monitoring their progress and the ease with which they completed the tasks, I could assess their understanding of the material and provide additional guidance when necessary.


In addition to focusing on the concepts, I also emphasized relevant study skills. We discussed the importance of consistent practice and using various resources, such as flashcards and online quizzes, to reinforce their learning. I encouraged the tutee to review and practice the material regularly to improve retention and build a strong foundation in Japanese grammar.




5) During the tutoring session, I made a conscious effort to employ effective communication skills to ensure a productive and engaging learning experience. My listening skills played a crucial role in understanding the tutee's needs and concerns. By actively listening and empathizing with their struggles, I was able to tailor my approach to address their specific difficulties.


My speaking skills were essential in conveying information clearly and concisely. I made sure to explain concepts in an accessible manner, using simple language and providing examples to illustrate key points. I also checked for understanding regularly, adjusting my explanations as needed to ensure the tutee was following along.


Questioning skills were crucial in fostering an interactive learning environment. By asking open-ended questions and encouraging the tutee to think critically about the material, I promoted deeper understanding and stimulated their problem-solving abilities.


Moreover, I paid close attention to non-verbal communication, such as body language and facial expressions, to gauge the tutee's comfort and comprehension levels. This enabled me to adjust my approach and maintain a supportive atmosphere throughout the session.




6) Upon reflecting on the tutoring session, I believe my overall performance was successful in helping the tutee review basic Japanese particle usage. The combination of customized worksheets, mock dialogues, and color-coded grammar elements provided the student with a variety of learning tools and opportunities to practice in different contexts. My communication skills, including listening, speaking, and questioning, facilitated an engaging and productive learning environment, allowing the tutee to feel comfortable and supported.


Despite the positive outcomes, there is always room for improvement in my tutoring techniques and skills. One area I could enhance is session organization. While the session was well-structured, incorporating more diverse activities and incorporating short breaks could help maintain the tutee's focus and motivation. Additionally, providing a clear agenda at the beginning of each session would help set expectations and ensure both the tutee and I are on the same page.


Regarding communication skills, I could further refine my questioning strategies to promote critical thinking and deeper understanding. For example, using the Socratic method, which involves asking a series of probing questions, could encourage the tutee to analyze the material more thoroughly and discover answers independently.



In terms of study skills, I could provide more guidance on effective note-taking and organization strategies. This would empower the tutee to better manage their learning process outside of our sessions. For example, I could suggest using mnemonic devices, flashcards, or spaced repetition techniques to enhance retention and recall.


Lastly, it would be beneficial to seek continuous feedback from the tutee on their progress and the effectiveness of my tutoring methods. This would help me identify any areas where adjustments are needed and ensure that the tutee's needs are consistently met. Implementing a simple feedback system, such as asking the tutee to rate their understanding and satisfaction at the end of each session, could provide valuable insights into my performance as a tutor.


By focusing on these areas of improvement, I believe I can further enhance my tutoring skills and provide even more effective support for my tutees in the future.



Comments

  1. Hello,
    I like the idea of color coded sentences when using a language! I am going to use this so the tutees can see the sentence structure order. I like that you tailor each session to each person. I find myself doing that a lot and it comes naturally to me as I was a teacher before. I feel as if that's the best way and helps the tutee get the most out of a session. Also including them in their own learning and what they expect out of it. I also like asking for feedback. I want to try and find a way to see if the tutee can leave anonymous feedback for me. This way they feel comfortable if they are too shy to tell me over a session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Excellent post! I feel that you did a great job preparing and conducting the session according to the tutee's needs and goals. I like how you tailored their approach by creating custom worksheets and mock dialogues with color-coded grammar elements to help the tutee visualize the relationship between sentence elements. I also liked how you employed active questioning and observation to assess the tutee's comprehension of the concepts and material, and emphasized relevant study skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ron!
    Great post, I always had difficulty with Japanese particles. I like how you mentioned particular methods we used like the Socratic method. I also think it's interesting how you created customized worksheets, and it really shows how dedicated you are to your role as a tutor!
    Raey Nguyen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment