Hi Everyone! (LTAT 310 Post #1)


Hey all! It's me!


 Hi everyone, my name is Ron and I'm excited to be part of this class. I have a background in web development, but after spending a few years in that field, I decided to leave it and pursue tutoring instead. I started off as an English composition tutor, but quickly expanded my tutoring services to include a wide range of subjects, including humanities, Spanish, ESL, common core math, philosophy, American government, and US History. Currently, I'm also learning Japanese. I've been focusing my private tutoring efforts on second language acquisition over the last few years, so when I decided to pursue a degree in Japanese, tutoring for it seemed like a natural fit.


I have two AA degrees from Los Rios, one in Liberal Arts and one in Deaf Studies. I work as a student aid for Adapted PE at CRC and have been a TA for most of the Deaf Studies classes there.


Something you might not know about me if we met online is that I have cerebral palsy and use a wheelchair. This has given me a unique perspective on the importance of accessibility and inclusion in all areas of life.


One thing I have noticed in my more than a decade of tutoring is that students who seek tutoring early on tend to have better academic outcomes and a less daunting perception of the difficulty of the subject. As for the optional question, one of the most challenging aspects of remote learning for me has been the lack of in-person interaction with classmates and teachers. To cope with this, my classmates and I have started a Discord server to meet, interact, and study outside of class. However, sometimes internet connection issues can interfere with the flow of conversation in a way that doesn't happen face to face. To accommodate this, I usually use text bast messages for the most important bits when the connection is less than reliable.


Thank you for taking the time to read my introductory blog post. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below!


PS.  One thing I WISH you had asked: What are some important lessons that your outside hobbies/intrests have taught you?


Maybe I’ll work the answer to that into a future post!

Comments

  1. Test comment, This is the blog author checking if public commenting works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Vanessa commenting. It’s so cool that you tutor so many subjects. I agree to let the tutee try to answer questions on their own as well. I’ve noticed that helps quite a bit

      Delete
    2. Hey! Thank you so much for the comment. I was looking over your blog, and I think you'll be fine. You already know I left you a comment there with a bit of advice.. I look forward to seeing how you get on as a tutor and what you think of the material in the class. Good luck on your mission to become an asshole interpreter! I think you'll be great, you'll have to let me know what the ASL proficiency exam for that is like.

      Delete
  2. Hello Ron,

    WOW your wide range of experience and growth is admiral. I hope to one day also be so involved and informed regarding my own individual passions. If you don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ( I apologize, not sure why that cut off)
      continued:
      dont mind me asking, why the career switch. Were you just more passionate about the ladder, or had the formal not ended up being what you anticipated? Regardless, I am happy to have you in this class with us, looking forward to the rest of the semester!

      Delete
    2. ’m trying to write a reply via email, so if this doesn’t work, I apologize in advance. But to answer your question, I started web development. When I was 14, I did that until I was about 29 years old, by the time I had a degree in IT/multimedia and an early bachelors degree from a for-profit school in game design. The education I got there wasn’t really the greatest, and I was getting burnt out working on computers and stuff like that all the time. So after being a web developer for 15 years and doing video production work. I kind of decided I needed to do something different with my time, and around the same time I was making that transition, I have another friend that also has cerebral palsy, the more severely. And she needed help completing her English 302 homework, so I started helping her with that, and tutoring her an English composition, and that’s how my tutoring career started. I did that with her for 2 1/2 years , and decided to try to bring other subjects, and it just kind of took off from there Great question, I’m sorry for the long reply.

      Delete

Post a Comment